The latest issue of the fan magazine Whotopia
has been released and looks at the legacy of writer and Script Editor Robert Holmes
The Magazine is available in both a free-to-download PDF
and can be purchased in hardcopy
- POINT / COUNTERPOINT: THE CASE FOR ROBERT HOLMES Join Michael S. Collins & Jon Arnold as they ponder the works of the late great Robert Holmes
- ROBERT HOLMES: THE EARLY YEARS Bob Furnell picks up his biographer's lens and takes a look at Robert Holmes early career
- COLUMN: WHOLIFE HOLMESLIFE Grant Bull takes a unique look at Holmes' life and works
- HOLMES WHO REVIEWED Our panel review every story written by Robert Holmes
- NOVELIZING THE SCRIPT: THE TWO DOCTORS Matthew Kresal focuses on Holmes novelization of his sixth Doctor script
- COLUMN: TARGET TRAWL Nick Mellish continues his journey reading every single Target novel
- SICK SOCIETY: HOW THE DYSTOPIAN NARRATIVE INFLUENCED DOCTOR WHO Steve Traves opens the lid on one of the series' most enduring themes
- COLUMN: THE DOCTOR WHO SCHOLAR: FILE UNDER POLITICS This issue Jeremy discusses how the Doctor's travels have touched upon the cultural events of their time
- BERNICE SUMMERFIELD UNBOUND Matthew Kresal examines the Big Finish audio boxset
- WHO YOU BUILD Steve Traves explores more full-scale Doctor Who model making
- THE BLACK ARCHIVES REVIEWED This issue Andrew Screen takes a look at Dark Water/Death In Heaven and Ghost Light
- THE TENTH DOCTOR ADVENTURES Jessica Chaleff takles this new series of audio adventures from Big Finish
- MASTER WHO PART 4: ERIC ROBERTS Dan Tessier details Eric Roberts version of ‘The Master’
- COLUMN: THE FANZINE CORNER Bob Furnell returns with a special one-off edition of this popular column
- THE AUDIO ARCHIVES: RETURN OF THE KROTONS Andrew Screen considers this audio sequel to Holmes' first ever 'Who' script
- COLUMN: THE CURATE’S EGG Richard Michaels defends three of Holmes' bug-eyed monster creations
Wednesday 26th July sees Titan release the latest Comic form adventures of the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors. Doctor Who: Ninth Doctor #14
Writer: Cavan Scott
Artist: Cris Bolson, Adriana Melo
Colourist: Marko Lesko
Cover A: Simon Myers
cover B: Photo – Will Brooks
Cover C: Arianna Florean
THE BIDDING WAR - PART 1! Doctor Who: Tenth Doctor #3.7
With some knowledge of his past life apparently restored, Jack is determined to put right his misdeeds as a Time Agent – in particular, stopping his past self from erasing the criminal Zloy Volk from the timeline, using an Eradicator gun. But... Zloy Volk is very much alive. How?! Even worse, in the process of stopping his past self from erasing Volk all over again, JACK was seemingly erased! The Doctor, Rose, and Tara are on the scene...
Writer: Nick Abadzis
Artist: Giorgia Sposito with Iolanda Zanfardino
Colourist: Arianna Florean with Nicola Righi
Cover A: Robert Hack
Cover B: Photo By Will Brooks
Cover C: Blair Shedd
Vortex Butterflies - Part 2! Doctor Who: Eleventh Doctor #3.7
After their collective ordeal in Ancient China, the Doctor received a mysterious signal... which turned out to be from his future self!
Though the Tenth Doctor won’t remember the exact details of their meeting, the warning from the future will linger... Having abandoned Gabby and Cindy in London at the house of an old friend, it turns out the Doctor may have left more problems than solutions in his wake – as Gabby’s powers began to manifest on an unprecedented scale!
Writer: George Mann
Artist: I.N.J Culbard
Colourist: Triona Farrell
Cover A: Simon Myers
Cover B: Photo By Will Brooks
Cover C: Rodney Ramos
Cover D: Iolanda Zanfardino
THE MEMORY FEAST - PART 2!
The TARDIS team came across a huge spaceship... in what was supposed to be completely abandoned space!
Once inside, they found enormous microclimates filled with everything from pterodactyls to burning suns! Of course, the wonder did not last as they were chased by memory parasites – the Thrakes – and the world inside the ship began to disintegrate, just as they came face to face with a mysterious coffin...
See the best Houdini animation and VFX, from Alien: Covenant to mind-bending new J-pop promos.
Viewport 2.0 becomes the primary viewport, new features added to the MASH motion graphics and Bifröst fluid simulation toolsets.
Compositing packages get OpenCL GPU acceleration on AMD GPUs, new live collaboration system.
Watch highlights of 15 of the year's best animated and VFX shorts, with accompanying tech breakdowns.
With the recent announcement of a new Doctor, online auction site eBay
have taken a look at who is the most popular Doctor in their listings ...
Doctor Who? Tennant leads the way in eBay.co.uk ranking
With Jodie Whittaker announced as the latest Doctor, eBay.co.uk has taken a look at the most popular Doctors of all time and revealed that it’s the tenth Doctor – David Tennant
– that takes the ‘sonic sceptre’. With nearly 6,000 current listings for ‘David Tennant’ on site (19th July) the online marketplace has revealed that the feisty Scot tops the ranking, selling more than one related item per hour in the last three months!
In at close second is the fourth Doctor, Tom Baker
who graced our screens in the 70’s, selling nearly 2,000 related items in the last three months. With popular items of memorabilia including his trusted multi-coloured scarf and canine pal K9.
In third place is the most recent Doctor, Peter Capaldi
, whose dry wit and charm has placed him firmly in the nation’s hearts, and seen him sell nearly a 1,000 related items in the last 90 days– that’s 11 items every day. Another recent addition to the ‘Doctor-hood’, Matt Smith
, fell into fourth place with 10 related items sold per day and caped crusader Jon Pertwee
followed shortly behind in fifth.
With nearly 190,000 listings for Doctor Who listed on 19th July, and a sonic screwdriver selling on site every hour in the last three months, it’s clear that the nation is geared up to greet the latest rendition, this time a Time Lord with a difference.
Top 10 Doctors:
With thanks to: eBay / LAUNCH
380-degree VR video stitching tool gets GPU acceleration, timecode, improved parallax compensation.
have announced the forthcoming publication of Red White and Who: The Story of Doctor Who in America
RED WHITE AND WHO
THE STORY OF DOCTOR WHO IN AMERICAWritten by Written by: Steven Warren Hill & Jennifer Adams Kelly, Nicholas Seidler, and Robert Warnock with Janine Fennick and John LavalieFull wraparound cover art by Dani Jones Published by ATB Publishing on 21st August 2017“This is genuinely fascinating stuff… a warm, dryly caustic in places, look at the way the show was viewed, received, influenced by and ultimately loved by the American audience... you’ve earned this book.”
– Gary Russell, from his foreword
Every American DOCTOR WHO fan has a story to tell, and fans of the iconic British television show love to tell stories. All of them from the casual to the obsessed, will happily regale others with the tale of how and when they discovered the greatest science fiction media franchise ever. Most early American fans first met the Doctor in the early 1980s, nearly twenty years after the show began in 1963...but the story of Doctor Who in America – a complex and fascinating journey into pop culture – stretches much further back.
In this book, you’ll find the rich history of everything Doctor Who in the USA – from American TV Guide listings of Canadian broadcasts in 1965, through the Dalek movies, the BBC sales attempts, the official debut on American television in 1972, the explosion in popularity among US viewers in 1979, the twentieth anniversary celebration in 1983, the conventions, the merchandise, the clubs, the video releases, the USA Tour, and every imaginable fan activity including cosplay, fan productions, PBS pledge drive volunteering, websites, podcasts, and much more, to the new heights of success, popularity, and participation in the 21st century. It’s an enlightening and entertaining journey for everyone who admires Doctor Who...and not just for American fans, but devotees around the globe.
Think you know everything there was to know about our favorite Time Lord and his history? Get ready to discover a “New New World” in RED WHITE AND WHO: THE STORY OF DOCTOR WHO IN AMERICA!
The 6x9 paperback book contains over 600 images across its 700+ full colour pages - a full list of contents and index can be found via the ATB Publishing website
This news item contains official information released by the BBC at the Doctor Who panel at San Diego Comic Con. some readers may consider the information spoilers.
The BBC has announced that Peter Capaldi’s final episode of Doctor Who, to be broadcast this Christmas will be called
Twice Upon a Time
The episode will also feature Pearl Mackie
returning as Bill Potts. Viewers will have to wait until Christmas to discover exactly how Bill, who will appear throughout the episode, makes her return.
It was also revealed that Mark Gatiss
will co-star in the episode in a guest role, playing a World War One soldier - known so far only as ‘The Captain'
As previously revealed in the closing moments of the 2017 series finale, the special will feature Peter Capaldi’s current Doctor team up with the First Doctor, played by David Bradley.